Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Time for School!

So school started on Monday and I am already overwhelmed by the amount of material and reading they want us to do. I should clarify, I am overwhelmed but not in a bad way, overwhelmed in an exciting way!

In theory I have only had one day of school as I don't have class on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. Slacker me I know! 

Monday was a really long day, I set my alarm for the first time since I've been in Australia to get up bright and early at 7:00am. I haven't seen 7:00am since I left canada and I was really starting to enjoy the sleeping in. But I got up and went down for breakfast and filled my coffee mug with coffee and ventured on to my torts class. It is a solid 20 minute walk up hill, and it was hot, and sticky, and just obscenely humid on Monday morning! That is my little complaining rant. I'm done now. Torts was awesome. I am so impressed with myself that I understood a solid 75% of what he was talking about (High five me!). Torts is a 2 hour class and normally I would have a tutorial right free wards but tutorials don't start till next week. So after class we went to the shortland hub where I attempted and failed to read my text for the next class. At 1:00 I had my next class, legal systems and methods, I already love my prof for that class. She is an incredibly sweet old lady! We really didn't discuss anything in regards to that class, as she was so busy getting to know us all in great detail. The class would usually run till 4:00, but she let us out at 2:30 so we could get to the city to see the Chief Justice, aka Judge, give a speech on the trials and tribulations of being a lawyer, which is probably a terrible speech to hear on you first day of law school, but I quite enjoyed it and found it very inspirational. After his speech we went to this boardroom with a balcony and we had canapés and beverages. The canapés were delicious, the hostess was adorable, she was explains to us what each one was, and then we asked her about the difference between appetizers and canapés and apparently there is a difference, she just couldn't explain it to us. I personally think canapés is a fancy word for appetizers. During our little mingle, we ran into the president of the UNLSA, and we invited him out for supper with us. He gave us the low down on Australia, and we gave him the low down on how weird everything in Australia is. It was a really good night. I didn't get home till 930. But if everyday of my law school career could be that awesome, I wouldn't have a problem with it!

On Tuesday, I didn't do much, I slept in, and then went to donate blood at 1:00, it's pretty much the same as donating in Canada except for the bandage you get afterwards. If you've never donated blood, once the take the needle out they put a bandaid over top, and send you on your way, here there bandaid makes it look like you had minor surgery on your arm! 
Sq
Point in case, what a waste of perfectly good medical materials! Tuesday evening we had our Edwards hall commencement dinner, where we got to dress up all fancy! They had a main which in Canada is called an appetizer which was smoked salmon which was rolled up with dill cream cheese in the middle.  Then the main was a steak with potato gratin, and some vegetables, it was very yummy! But my favourite was the dessert, a hazelnut cheesecake, and yes it tasted even better than it sounds! This is Renee and I all dolled up for the commencement dinner. I'm wearing 4 inch heels, and I'm still shorter than her! 


After the commencement dinner I did some reading and then fell asleep a bit earlier than planned but that's okay!

Today, which is Wednesday, I figured out where the train station was on campus, and I figured out how to buy a ticket from the machine (if you saw the hundreds of buttons on the machine, you'd understand how complicated it is), and then I went to the beach (thank goodness for google maps, or I would have walked the wrong way). At the beach, I read my criminal law textbook, and enjoyed the +32 weather, when I got to hot, I went for a swim, then continued to read, couldn't think of a better way to spend an afternoon studying! Tonight I went to an Amnesty International event, which is a group I joined, as I'm very interested in the international human rights aspect of the law, and we watched the movie "I am a girl" it was a good movie about girls around the world and how different there lives are from each other. 

Now I'm going to go do some more reading for contract law, before I fall asleep! 

No comments:

Post a Comment