Thursday, February 13, 2014

Beach, Buses, and Togas

Hey guys, I know it's been awhile but the internet here sucks, so it's almost next to impossible to post something online! So the past week has been interesting to say the least. 

To start, I made my way to the beach, it was beautiful! The sand was so soft, between your toes, not like the fake beaches we have at home that are full of rocks, this sand was silky smooth. The ocean was amazing, I mean yes I have seen the ocean before, but it was nothing like this. The way the waves rolled up onto the beach and receded was just amazing. I was in awe, I don't even have words to describe how awesome it was. I went into the ocean and I got my first faceful of salty ocean water, oh my goodness, it's like pouring a salt container right into your mouth, and there is nothing you can do to get that taste put of your mouth until you guzzle down bottles of water. The girls I was with that day told me to dive into and under the wave instead of trying to jump over top of it, so I did, and it was so much fun. Sounds silly, but just the feeling you get being submerged in the ocean is indescribable. I should have been a mermaid apparently...just kidding I hate all things under the sea, except fish, they're pretty delicious to eat!

I have also ventured to the mall, this may sound pretty basic, but the mall was a two and half hour speed walk away, so I decided I would figure out the public transportation system and take the bus, which also may seem pretty easy to some folk, but since I haven't taken a city bus since I got my license 10 years ago (wow, I'm old), it was a bit of a task to figure out. Through some really slow very frustrating internet searching, I came across bus routes, and found out which bus I need to take. I then start to wander around campus until I find a bus station, I know there is one here, I just didn't know where. Once I found it, I asked the girl sitting at the bus stop if I could catch bus 100 here, and she informed me that yes I could, in fact the bus that pulled away as I was walking up was bus 100, (my timing is impeccable for some things!) so I'd have to wait 20 minutes for the next one. So unseat down and patiently waited, when my bus arrived, it went to pay my fare and it was $3.70 that's crazy expensive. I'm pretty sure at home it's around $2.00, maybe I'm wrong, but $3.70 for a one way bus ride sounds a little outrageous to me! Once on the bus, I had to pay attention because I needed to get off at the Charlestown mall, hank fully almost every other person on the bus wanted to get off there too, so I just blended into the crowd and got off the bus.

Now the mall, I can't even describe the mall it was huge, halls that went in every direction. I soon became overwhelmed by the mall, I got lost in it several times, and it took me about 45 minutes to find the apple store, granted I did stop for lunch, in that time and had some delicious calamari and French fries for $5. I must say that was a much better deal than the bus fare. I spent about 4 hours in the mall, just looking around and getting lost over and over again, I could have spent longer but I was not spending any money on fun stuff (aka shoes and clothes), just nessesities that day. So when I boarded the bus to get back home that afternoon, I figured next time I came to the mall. I'd need a plan, or a strategy to figure out exactly what I needed so I don't waste time by getting lost.

Just a side note as I'm sitting in an outdoor courtyard watching people walk by as I type this, people dress weird here, clothes and shoes, just weird.

So last night I realized how old I actually was for the first time in a long time. I shall explain. Last night there was a toga party, so I destroyed a bed sheet and got dressed up in a toga with some awesome gold accessories, I figured I was going to have fun and meet some awesome people. I did meet some awesome people, but I think my version of fun has changed since the last time I was in university. We met at the cellar after supper which is like a party common area and started the night off with half a centurion. Now to explain what a centurion is, it's a drinking game, where you take a shot every minute for 100 minutes, a little outrageous right? I thought so, so the music played and at every minute intervals, the music would stop and we'd take a shot. Now since we only did half a centurion, it was only 50 shots, but still you get the point. Ridiculous drunkness, ridiculously fast by everyone. After that we took the train to the club or bar as us people in Saskatchewan call it. The club was called the Argyle, and apparently it is one of the best clubs in Newcastle, the coolest part about this club was the way they checked you IDs, they put your ID in a machine and en you stand in front of a camera and then I have no idea what it does, but i think it matches your face to the ID, but that's just speculation, I got a check mark, which is good, so I was in. Now to the part where I realized how old I actually am. I couldn't handle it. The spilled drinks, the constant bumping into one another, and the terrible, terrible music! I just needed to get out of there as fast as I could. After about 2 hours, I found some people who also wanted to leave, and we caught a cab back to he university, where I drank a gallon of water, made myself and sandwich and then passed out in my bed and didn't stir till morning. 

That my friends has been the past few days of my life, personally that's way to much excitement for me, so I think I'm going to hibernate tonight, and finish my book and watch re runs of How I Met Your Mother. But I'm signing off now, because my battery life is sitting at 4% and I'm getting eaten alive by mozzies.

No comments:

Post a Comment