Friday, February 7, 2014

Jet-Lagged!

Jet-lagged I am, I'm trying my best to stay awake during the day and go to bed later (as in 10:00), but it doesn't matter how late I stay up i am always up in the morning at around 5:00 am which makes the day super long. It would be okay if I could get up and go for breakfast then. But the dining hall doesn't open till 7:30, so I toss and turn, and toss some more, until I am even more tired than I was at 5:00am.

These past few days have been interesting, I found the shopping mall, go me! I walked there and I didn't get lost! Although I thought I was because google maps said it was a 20 minute walk, and I was still on university property at 20 minutes, so either I walk super slow (which I don't think I do) or google maps runs the whole route! The mall is just small, kind of reminds me of Vic Square back at home, but it has all the essentials one would need, such as a Woolworth which is sort of like Safeway, and a Big W, which is identical to Wal-mart, and of course a liquor store. What more could you ask for! After I looked around and bought a few organizational tools for my tiny room, I stopped and had lunch at subway before I walked back to the University. I ordered a subway club, which is like an assorted, and I get it toasted, and as I'm waiting for them to throw my veggies on, they ask me what kind of salad I want on top. I'm like what, okay, salad, they must mean lettuce, tomato, cucumber, etc. So I just went with the flow, and yup sure enough, I topped my meat and cheese with salad. Super weird lingo over here.

Speaking of super weird lingo, everyone asks "you doing?" or "you feeling" and it means in normal english terms, "how're you doing?", "how're you feeling?". That still throws me off when I'm asked that. Another odd lingo term is "pre's" which I was invited to by a wonderful girl on my floor, but once again it took me a few seconds to process what "pre's" could mean. I came to the conclusion of "pre drinks" before we all went to 'The Bar on the Hill' and yes once again I was right, I mean at least that one makes sense. Every thing is just a shortened version of what we say in Canada I guess.

So let's move on to the topic of "The Bar on the Hill", that was an interesting evening, I was dead tired before we even made it there, but I befriended a really nice girl named Annie, who kind of led me around like a lost puppy dog introducing me to people. I was very grateful for her, or else I probably would have been sitting in a corner alone sipping on my sangria, observing people and being the shy introvert that I am. So when we got to the bar, I got a drink, I asked for my usual rye and coke, and the girl that was taking my order literally looked at me and said "I'm sorry, what is that" I had to point over the bar and say "The Canadian Club" she's like oh okay, and she had to crack the seal for me. I stuck to Sangria after that, because Canadian Club is nothing like Weiser's from back home. Speaking of breaking seals, there was a barbecue at the bar, and we went down to get a sausage, which was really good, so I got my bread, and my sausage, then I grabbed the mustard, and went to put it on but nothing was coming out, so I opened the cap and popped off the seal, and put some mustard on my sausage, which I may add is a totally normal thing to do in Canada. But nope, everyone else loaded there's up with barbecue sauce, and then made fun of me, in a joking way of course. They were telling me that no one hear really eats mustard or ketchup its an American thing, I didn't think it was an American thing, I thought it was a normal thing, but apparently I'm weird down here. At 10:30 Annie asked if I wanted to go to a club in the city with her, I had to turn her down because I was so tired, she told me not to walk back alone as it's not safe. So I found a group of people that were leaving and followed them back to the living area, and passed out the minute I got to my room.

The next day was shot. I had no ambition to do anything, it was cool outside so I had on sweat capris and a tank top, and I hibernated in my room all day and caught up on some of my TV shows. Nothing like being in a foreign country and hibernating because you're tired. Super adventurous here!

Next week I plan on going to Black Butt Reserve, I believe it is a national park and you can see koala's and kangaroos, and all other sorts of awesome animals. And then maybe next weekend I will make it down to the beach if it is nice. Also my goal for this weekend is to figure out how the bus routes work, I think I may just hop on one and see where it takes me. Maybe it will take me past a7-11 so I can get a slurpee, one can hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment