Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Exhausted Arrival

Just want to start off by saying the internet is super slow here, took me 45 minutes to upload this page, just so I can type this post! So I am going to do my best to make it worth it. Although I am super hungry so we will see where my brain takes me.

I arrived in Sydney yesterday, February 3rd at 1:30 in the afternoon, after collecting my baggage, I loaded it all up onto a cart. For those of you that do not know, I took 4 large, and my large I mean incredibly over sized, over stuffed suitcases with me. The airport carts I swear are made to hold children's luggage only. So I loaded 3 of my suitcases onto the cart, piling it sky high, and dragged one beside it. Now, it wouldn't of been half bad if I didn't have to go around corner, but unfortunately it was not a straight road and I turned a corner and my luggage went flying to the ground, yes I got some looks, and one person walked by me and said "wow, that's a lot of luggage" so at least we know there are some very astute detectives that wander through the Sydney airport! I get down to the main level and I find my Happy Cabby transport service waiting for me! Thank goodness because I was three and a half hours late, so I am very grateful they waited for me! Mr. Happy Cabby man, helped me with my luggage and soon we were on the bus headed to Newcastle!

On the way through Sydney, I saw the Sydney Opera House, it looks amazing, and we went over this amazing bridge, where you can climb to the top and see all of Sydney (may have to look in to that!), there was a wonderful couple travelling up on the bus with me, and they were giving me the mini tour overview of everywhere we passed. School had just gotten out here, and there were so many kids in uniforms! Very different from the way Canadian students dress at home.

I finally arrived in Newcastle after two and a half hours, and thankfully the accommodation office was still open and I managed to check in. With the help of some wonderful residents who live in my dorm with me, we managed to get all of my luggage upstairs and me into my room! I then had a mini tour or the facilities and met the important people on my floor who informed me there was a meeting at 8:00 if I was feeling up to it. When I got back to my room I found my bedding and made my bed, then played around on this awful internet for a little while, trying to stay awake till 8:00 for the meeting.

At the meeting with everyone else on my floor I found out that Edwards Hall (where I live) is called Teds, because apparently Ted is a nickname for Edward. During the meeting they were giving out important phone numbers and everyone whipped out there iPhones and started entering the numbers, and I just sat there feeling incredibly naked without my phone. That is up high on the list of things to get soon. I feel very weird without it! After the meeting concluded I went back to my room and passed out!

This morning I woke up around 10 and got ready for the day. Put on some shorts and a tank top, (it was nice not having to throw on pants and a huge sweater in February) and went on a walk to find the student services centre so I could get my picture ID taken. This campus is huge, I am pretty sure walking to the student services centre and back to my dorm room, took me as long as it would have to  walk around the University of Regina.

I am back in my room and am starting to unpack, and have realized that I grossly underestimated the amount of hangers that I need to hang all my stuff up, I most definitely thought 50 would be enough, but I am wrong. So maybe tomorrow I will wander around the city and find a shopping centre which will hopefully have a store that sells iPhones as well.

At the moment, I am pretty exhausted and very hungry, supper is in a half hour so I will fill up then, but I am going to try to stay awake after supper till at least 830pm before I crash and fall asleep just so I can try to slowly adjust to there time change. This 17 hour difference is killing me!

Totally forgot about this temporarily, just have to comment on the men's shorts here, they are short, and by short I mean mid-thigh length short, as in what men in Canada wore in the 80's short. No board shorts here, or at least I haven't seen anyone wearing any. But on a plus side, that means that they aren't wearing there shorts half way done there ass. I'm almost scared to go to the beach if there shorts are that short, what do their swim trunks look like? Just saying, to bad there isn't a happy medium of guys wearing board shorts that sit properly on there hips.

I don't have much else to say, as I was not very adventurous today. If you have any question you want to ask me, feel free to comment and I shall answer them to the best of my ability!


No comments:

Post a Comment