Thursday, February 20, 2014

Dorm Life

I know I haven't posted in a while, but I really haven't been participating in anything blog worthy!

I just want to start this post by saying a big Congratulations to my baby brother on getting engaged this past week to his girlfriend. I'm very proud and happy for you, and can't wait for the wedding!

I made a new friend here, her name is Renee, I think we are going to get a long great! She is from Canada as well, and is closer to my age than anyone else I have met. She turns 24 this year, and I turn 26, so even though I still feel like I'm ancient compared to everyone else in the dorms, at least Renee can relate to me.

Last night was Opening Ceremonies which was a complete joke, it was supposed to be a bonding time, where you got to meet other people from the dorms in Edwards Hall, and learned what Edwards Hall aka Teds is all about. The ceremony made me so mad that even writing about it now makes me shake my head in disbelief. Basically it promoted excessive drinking, and stripping in public. I was embarrassed that I was even there. Today I read an article about Edwards Hall that says that it tries to portray the typical Hollywood Movie College Life. After last night I believe that. I may be the oldest one in this college, but I just shake my head and wish some of the younger students would show a little self-respect for themselves. I had to keep telling myself last night, they have to live and learn, but I got out of there as fast as I could. The last thing I saw before leaving the dining hall last night were people stripping and dancing on tables, and I told Renee as I walked out that I am no longer participating in activities. That may make me a hermit till school starts, so be it, I am okay with that. Only 10 days left till school starts! Yay!

So yesterday I also got caught in a torrential downpour, it was crazy, I was soaked through and through. I was wringing out my clothes as I was walking up the stairs to my dorm. I was a sopping mess. The reason I got caught in a rain storm is because I went to this iLEAD presentation, I am very excited to join that group, its all about networking and volunteering in the community and at the end of it, if I complete so many hours, I get a Leadership Certificate, which will be awesome to add on my resume.

Renee's really nice room mate Brooke drove us to Kotara mall the other day, I really wanted to go there because they have a cupcake espresso! Which is where I really want to work, because I love cupcakes and they just make me happy! Renee wanted a bar fridge, so she bought one, and it took Brooke and I 15 minutes to get that thing into the boot, aka the trunk of her car. Also, she took us to a shoe store there and was trying on shoes with her friend Bridgette, and it was the first shoe store I went into and didn't fall in love with shoes. There shoes here are so different, they are just weird. They definitely don't look like shoes we wear. Here is an example of what a female would wear to the bar for footwear with a dress.


So at least we know I am going to save money on shoes while down here..

Also while I was at the mall, I found out that a shopping cart is called a trolley, a windshield is called windscreen, rubbish is used in a different context down here, as they call trash/garbage rubbish. The last term that I learned so far, is a kebab, which to me is a skewer with meat and vegetables on it, but down here it is what we would call a pita. 

I know this post kind of sucks. But tomorrow I am going to the beach, and hopefully getting a phone, and quite possibly touring Fort Scratchley. So my next update will be full of touristy information.

I haven't taken many pictures because it's just not as handy carrying a camera around as it is having a phone to whip out when you see something super awesome! But here is a picture of a parrot and another awesome bird. If anyone knows what the black and white bird is called, let me know!



No comments:

Post a Comment